A street in the Old Town linking the Křižovnické square with Malé náměstí. In the 12th century, the stone Judith Bridge was built at an ancient Vltava River crossing and the importance of this street, connecting large marketplaces in the Old Town (the current Old Town Square) with the Prague Castle on the other side of the river increased sharply; the little narrow crooked street became a part of the main transport artery of the city. Residential houses and aristocratic palaces, which line the street, usually hide the remains of older structures under their Baroque façades; in many places, Gothic foundations have been preserved and the history of some objects goes back to those times. The street has carried its current name since 1848. Today, Karlova Street is part of the most frequented tourist routes through Prague.